Saturday, August 8, 2015

The Theory of Everything is Brilliant!

The Theory of Everything
Released: November 17, 2014

Drama, limited release
Not Rated; 2 hrs 3 mins

Directed: James Marsh

Eddie Redmayne, Felicity Jones

When I rented this from the Box, I knew I would have a hard time watching this flick. Seeing someone in a wheelchair, dying of Lou Gehrig's disease, is painful to take in. I knew little of Stephen Hawking other than he is a brilliant man. I wanted this flick to be a documentary of his life and I didn't get it. What I got was a sensitive, brilliant, story of a genius, his wife, and family during a difficult time in the 60's. Jane Wilde, played by Felicity Jones, is equally as brilliant, with Redmayne, who won the Oscar for best actor. Critics need to understand that Hawking's story is still fluid and its hard to bring this man's contribution to mankind in two hours. We know Hawking is a smart man, but Marsh wants us to focus on Jane's relationship with Hawking and how she coped with his disease. Marsh accomplishes his goal in a tantalizing fashion. If released again in the theater, I would see it...again! The Theory of Everything is convincing and desirable portrait of a genius!

No comments:

Post a Comment